“Local’s Friday” Designed to offer locals an affordable way to start ice climbing. Leave town at 12:30 go straight to Hyalite for an introduction to ice. Climb until dark.
Contact us for details.
All technical gear is included.
8:30 am at Hyalite Trail Head
- Welcome, introduction, aspiration, goals, agenda
- Knots, harnesses, and ropes
- Set crampons to boots and check harnesses
- Discussion of safety procedures
- Basic Ice Movement – foot work with crampons and ice tool placements
- Basic belay techniques and belay commands
- Top roped climbs in Hyalite Canyon
- Lots of climbing! Learn by doing with coaching and instruction.
Dates: Saturday following course
Cost: $250 (Must be booked with in 24 hrs of class to get this rate)
Ratio: 2:1 (minimum of 2 participants)
Put your honed-in ice climbing skills to use on a private guided ice climb on one of Hyalite Canyon’s classic ice climbs. The focus will be to climb a magnificent route while bringing a teaching scenario along with us. This is a great opportunity to fine-tune the skills learned from our 1-day course.
- Boots: single insulated ice climbing boot with crampon compatibility*
- Climbing Harness*
- Climbing Helmet*
- Ice Tools (2)*
- Crampons: step in with vertical front points must fit your boots*
- Belay Device and locking carabiner*
*We will provide these items but we must know in advance, particularly boot size
If your body runs cold you may want to add another layer
- Long underwear, mid-weight (top & bottom), synthetic or wool.
- Soft shell pant (lightly insulated)
- Fleece or sweater (medium or lightweight)
- Fleece (heavyweight)-have as backup in case your trip is during a cold snap
- Insulated jacket (down or synthetic)
- Waterproof jacket with hood (Gore-Tex)
- Waterproof pants (Gore-Tex)
- Socks (mid-weight)
- Hat: fleece or wool hat that covers ears & fits under a helmet
- Gloves: one thin pair (medium weight) and one thick pair
- Gaiters (optional)
- Neck gaiter/buff or scarf
- Daypack: 40-55L with ice tool carrying capabilities.
- Sun screen
- Thermos: optional but wonderful to have
- 1-liter water bottle with insulated sleeve (full!)
- Food for the day: energy bars, GU packs or Hammer Gels
- Hint: keep some food in your pockets so it doesn’t freeze.
- Camera (optional), we have Go Pro helmet cam mounts.
MULTI-PITCH CLIMBS ONLY:
- Super light 10-20-liter pack to bring on route for belay coat, H2O, and food
- Alternatively have method to clip above items to harness.
- Optional second base layer top to change in to after long sweaty approaches
- Plastic ice-screw holders that are pre-mounted to your harness