DESCRIPTION: If you have never climbed before or want to take your gym-climbing skills outside to a real crag and begin to acquire the skills needed to climb outside while meeting other climbers – then this is the right course for you. This is an abbreviated version of our Gym to Crag Series: Level 1.
OVERVIEW: Our professional climbing guides teach skills necessary for students to evolve into proficient outdoor climbers.
- Introduction to outdoor climbing – LOTS OF CLIMBING and coaching!
- Risk management at the cliff/crag
- Top rope belaying outside, belay positioning on uneven terrain
- Back up belaying
- Top rope anchors: from bolts
- Safety considerations, avoidance, and mitigation
- Introduction to leading, back clipping, “Z” clipping (by “Mock Leading”)
- Anchor cleaning
- Directional points
PREREQUISITES: No experience necessary
CLIMBING LOCATION: Red Cliff (just south of Big Sky)
MEETING LOCATION: 8:00am @ Montana Alpine Guides, 13 Enterprise Blvd., Bozeman, MT 59718
MINIMUM ENROLLMENT: 3 climbers
RATIO: Max 6:1
- Professional climbing guide
- Personal Climbing Gear (rock climbing shoes, harness, helmet)
- Group Gear: Ropes, carabiners, climbing protection, slings, cordelettes, etc.
- Food, transport, lodging
- Technical clothing, backpack, etc.
- Rescue insurance
- Trip insurance
- Unforeseen expenses from circumstances outside of Montana Alpine Guides’ control