MAG is offering our BIPOC Intro to Climbing clinic so that our educational courses are more accessible and approachable to folks who identify as BIPOC. Outside of this BIPOC specific clinic all races, genders, abilities, and backgrounds are welcome in any and all of our educational programs.
DESCRIPTION: If you have never climbed before or want to take your gym-climbing skills outside to a real crag and begin to acquire the skills needed to climb outside while meeting other climbers – then this is the right course for you. This is an abbreviated version of our Gym to Crag Series: Level 1.
OVERVIEW: Our professional climbing guides teach skills necessary for students to evolve into proficient outdoor climbers.
- Introduction to outdoor climbing – LOTS OF CLIMBING and coaching!
- Risk management at the cliff/crag
- Top rope belaying outside, belay positioning on uneven terrain
- Back up belaying
- Top rope anchors: from bolts
- Safety considerations, avoidance, and mitigation
- Introduction to leading, back clipping, “Z” clipping (by “Mock Leading”)
- Anchor cleaning
- Directional points
PREREQUISITES: No experience necessary
CLIMBING LOCATION: Red Cliff (just south of Big Sky)
MEETING LOCATION: 8:00am @ Montana Alpine Guides, 13 Enterprise Blvd., Bozeman, MT 59718
MINIMUM ENROLLMENT: 3 climbers
RATIO: Max 6:1
- Professional climbing guide
- Personal Climbing Gear (rock climbing shoes, harness, helmet)
- Group Gear: Ropes, carabiners, climbing protection, slings, cordelettes, etc.
- Food, transport, lodging
- Technical clothing, backpack, etc.
- Rescue insurance
- Trip insurance
- Unforeseen expenses from circumstances outside of Montana Alpine Guides’ control