DESCRIPTION: Intrigued by leading traditional rock climbs but intimidated by knowing how to safely protect climbs? Do you lead sport routes in the gym or outside and want to open up the doors to more options? Join one of MAGs professional guides to learn the safety and art to protecting traditional rock climbs and gain the confidence needed to safely go out on your own.
OVERVIEW: This course is for those who have experience leading sport climbs and want to tap in to the multitude of classic traditional routes and or alpine objectives abound.
- Risk assessments and crag hazards
- Gear placements and removal, protection evaluation (cams, nuts, other)
- Multi-point/multi-directional anchor construction
- Fall factors and forces created
- Technique and lead-climbing strategy
- Mock leading scenarios
- Lead belays
- Equipment selection and use
- Constructive teaching and review of all gear placement by professional guides.
- Intro to multi-pitch scenarios as time permits
PREREQUISITES: Climbers enrolling in our Traditional Rock Course should have a background in lead climbing sport climbs, basic belay skills, and knots. Contact us about options if you feel you need to gain these skills. Combine this course with our Multi-Pitch Climbing Course for a solid foundation in traditional climbing skills and techniques. You can also gain the prerequisite skills in our Leading Sport Course.
PRICE: $95 (1-DAY CLINIC) *does not include 3.5% Land Use Charge*
CLIMBING LOCATION: Gallatin Canyon
MEETING LOCATION: 8am @ Montana Alpine Guides, 13 Enterprise Blvd., Bozeman, MT 59718
MINIMUM ENROLLMENT: 3 climbers
RATIO: Max 6:1
- Professional climbing guide
- Personal Climbing Gear (rock climbing shoes, harness, helmet)
- Group Gear: Ropes, carabiners, climbing protection, slings, cordelettes, etc.
- Food, transport, lodging
- Technical clothing, backpack, etc.
- Rescue insurance
- Trip insurance
- Guide gratuity
- Unforeseen expenses from circumstances outside of Montana Alpine Guides’ control