With world-class ice climbing cliffs less than a fifteen-minute walk from the parking areas, this climbing course will maximize your time amidst the vertical! Our Introduction to Ice Climbing Course takes place at two different venues – Ousel Falls outside of Big Sky on Day 1, and Hyalite Canyon outside of Bozeman on Day 2. Our experienced ice climbing guides customize all ice climbing instruction to each individual’s climbing abilities and experience levels. Ice climbing technique is our focal point, and you will be learning from the pros – then putting the climbing lessons into action! Each day will be filled with continual feedback, instruction, and as much climbing as possible! Participants will walk away from our 2-day Introduction to Ice Climbing course with a solid ice climbing foundation – including the safety, knowledge, skills, and techniques needed to enjoy the wild and wonderful sport of ice climbing.
- Ability to identify ice climbing equipment, properly don and check harness, helmet, boots, and crampons.
- Belay communications.
- Climbing knots and hitches: Figure 8 Follow-through, Double Fisherman’s, Prussic, Munter, Clove Hitch, and Water Knot.
- Proper top rope anchor placement and setup.
- Rappel setup and techniques with friction devices.
- Ice climbing technique up to WI4 with coaching.
The MAG ice guides are composed of some of the most experienced climbing guides in The Rockies, with years of teaching and guiding in Hyalite Canyon and elsewhere. We love to pass our ice climbing knowledge on to new eager ice climbers. No experience is necessary for this course, which is why we are here!
In addition to this 2-day course, you can maximize your time and expenses with one of our “Bonus Day Ice Climbs.” With a newly established skillset, you will impress yourself at what you will be able to climb!