Montana Alpine Guides (MAG) is proud to offer an American Mountain Guides Association (AMGA), Single Pitch Instructor (SPI) program. This course is designed for current rock climbers who wish to instruct in the single pitch environment. The SPI Course is a minimum of 27 hours, typically taught over 3 days.
Classes will start and end at the MAG office (11 Enterprise Blvd, Bozeman, MT 59715). Classroom Field locations will take place within a 1-hour drive of Bozeman, MT. Class locations will be emailed to participants 1-2 weeks before trip dates.
- You are a Professional Member of the AMGA. Join via the AMGA website.
- You have a genuine interest in rock climbing and instructing novices on single-pitch crags.
- You are at least 18 years old at the time of the course.
- You have at least 12 months prior climbing experience.
- You are an active climber with traditional lead climbing experience (leader placing pro).
- You have led a minimum of 15 traditional rock climbing routes (any grade).
- You are capable of comfortably climbing 5.8 while on a top rope.
The above prerequisites are absolute minimums. Without having at least this amount of experience you are unlikely to make the best use of the training. Full prerequisites and further information are available on the AMGA website.
After completing the course, candidates are eligible for the 16-hour SPI Assessment. Candidates may elect to take the assessment at any time following the course provided they meet the prerequisites; however, many candidates will require a few months to consolidate and practice the skills learned during the course. Successful completion of the assessment confers the Single Pitch Instructor certification, which is valid for 3 years.
Spots still available
- August 27-29, 2021
$600/person (+3.5% land use charge)
6:1 (max of 12 participants, 2 instructors)
Note: With 12 participants, we will have two 6:1 climbing teams to maintain better social distancing.
Don’t see course dates that work for you?
Visit our calendar to check out our other courses!