Guided Ascents – Hyalite Canyon Classics
Climb one of Hyalite Canyon’s classic multi-pitch climbs with MAG during this years Bozeman Ice Festival weekend. We run these trips throughout the year from December 1-April 1. To make trips more affordable participants have the option to sign up along and link up with others on our fixed dates and times. Select one of these trips or contact us for other dates.
Silken Falls (120m, WI3)
This 3 to 4-pitch route is an ideal first multi-pitch ice climb for those with as little as one day of ice climbing under their belt. This is a beginner climb with nice belay ledges all the way up. If snow conditions are unsafe we will select a neighboring climb. Participants should feel comfortable on WI3 climbs. Approach time: 1 hour
The Dribbles (155m, WI4)
The classic five-star multi-pitch WI4 in Hyalite Canyon. Typically climbed in 3 to 4 pitches. Can be linked up with several WI 5 routes for the ambitious and experienced. Participants should feel comfortable on WI4 single-pitch climbs.
Cleopatra’s Needle (80m, WI5)
The mandatory WI5 ice climb in Hyalite Canyon. The best climb for its grade in the region. A one hour approach followed by 3-pitches of spectacular climbing. If you move fast it can be combined with Twin Falls. Participants should feel comfortable on WI5 single-pitch climbs.
- Boots: single insulated ice climbing boot with crampon compatibility*
- Climbing Harness*
- Climbing Helmet*
- Ice Tools (2)*
- Crampons: step in with vertical front points must fit your boots*
- Belay Device and locking carabiner*
**We can provide these items but we must know in advance, particularly boot size**
If your body runs cold you may want to add another layer
- Long underwear, mid-weight (top & bottom), synthetic or wool.
- Soft shell pant (lightly insulated)
- Fleece or sweater (medium or lightweight)
- Fleece (heavyweight)-have as backup in case your trip is during a cold snap
- Insulated jacket (down or synthetic)
- Waterproof jacket with hood (Gore-Tex)
- Waterproof pants (Gore-Tex)
- Socks (mid-weight)
- Hat: fleece or wool hat that covers ears & fits under a helmet
- Gloves: one thin pair (medium weight) and one thick pair
- Gaiters (optional)
- Neck gaiter/buff or scarf
- Daypack: 40-55L with ice tool carrying capabilities.
- Sun screen
- Thermos: optional but wonderful to have
- 1-liter water bottle with insulated sleeve (full!)
- Food for the day: energy bars, GU packs or Hammer Gels
- Hint: keep some food in your pockets so it doesn’t freeze.
- Camera (optional), we have Go Pro helmet cam mounts.
MULTI-PITCH CLIMBS ONLY:
- Super light 10-20-liter pack to bring on route for belay coat, H2O, and food
- Alternatively have method to clip above items to harness.
- Optional second base layer top to change in to after long sweaty approaches
- Plastic ice-screw holders that are pre-mounted to your harness