Current MAG Employment Opportunities
Montana Alpine Guides is hiring Gannett Peak Guide(s)/Porter(s) for our 2024 summer operations.
Posting Date: 1/11/24
MAG offers 5 or 6 day guided Gannett Peak trips in the Wind River Range out of Crowheart, WY during the summer months between mid-June thru early August.
Currently, there are six trips total between June 24 and August 9th with possible additional trips.
Please read our itinerary and logistics on our website:
Required credentials for guides:
- 5+ years guiding experience
- High altitude guiding experience (12,000ft+)
- Glacier guiding experience
- Managing scree, talus, steep snow, up to 3rd class rock
- Wilderness First Responder or higher
- Leave No Trace
Ideal candidate skills and experience:
- Past experience guiding on glaciated peaks such as Mt Rainier, Denali, etc.
- AMGA Alpine Guide training: Certified Alpine Guide or Assistant Alpine Guide
- Avalanche Education Training
- Gannett Peak experience
For questions, please contact us at:
To apply, please send a resume, cover letter, and experience log to:
MAG Office Manager Job Description & Qualifications
Montana Alpine Guides (MAG) has held permits for guided climbing operations since 1985, establishing the first climbing guide service in Montana. Since that time we have grown operations nationally and internationally.
MAG is dedicated to teaching and guiding backcountry skiing, avalanche education, rock climbing, ice climbing, mountaineering, and backpacking in Wyoming and Montana with select international operations. We guide and educate in these disciplines with a goal to increase the knowledge and skill sets of all participants. Our guiding services and educational courses are open to all backgrounds and abilities. We hold a high focus on Leave No Trace Guidelines through education on land protection. Our clientele ranges from locals to international foreigners, from complete beginners to extremely experienced climbers,mountaineers, and skiers. We have an array of technical courses that regularly fill for those seeking to gain the skills and knowledge to later pursue mountain goals independent of guides. Our private guided operations expand all disciplines and range from individuals to wilderness therapy and school groups Based in Montana and Wyoming, our lead guides are extremely well respected in the industry and most have international experience in the greatest ranges of the world from the Himalaya to Patagonia.
MAG’s Office Manager (OM) leads the administrative office and basic marketing duties in this small but growing business. We are looking for an outgoing, flexible, and hardworking individual with strong administrative and organizational skills. Day to day responsibilities include responding to all email and phone requests for our guided services, and booking trips. The OM is the glue between our clients and the booking process to the guide’s launch point from our office to the field for the day. Mid term and long term projects will depend on each individual’s past experience but may include marketing, advertising, graphic design, file management, etc.
We are flexible with this position taking the occasional powder day or day to go climb when conditions are ideal. This privilege assumes the OM will wake up early or work later in order to ensure all roles and duties are completed prior to skipping work. Absences must be approved by the Director of Operations.
MAG Director of Operations
Administrative Responsibilities (70%): Daily Tasks
MAG’s Office Manager will cover all day-to-day office duties.
- Booking trips by email and phone
- Basic bookkeeping: Invoicing, tracking payment. maintaining the payroll log
- Marketing/advertising, social media, mailchimp, posters
- Maintaining office supplies
- Coordinating gear rentals & maintaining equipment inventory
- Other: Maintaining the client database, MAG inventory & retail sales, maintaining the work calendar, basic web page maintenance, maintaining current list of pro deals with relevant application information for MAG employees, maintaining guide roster and ensuring that guides are current with all required certifications and employee information, as well as additional related duties.
- Create and maintain efficient work processes/protocols for all MAG related tasks
- Create and maintain a standardized system to organize all forms/paperwork for both digital files and hard copies (standardize MAG templates, update all existing forms and documents to adhere to established standards, etc.)
- Event-Specific Duties
- Design/order marketing materials (stickers, posters, postcards etc.)
- Organize tents/stands at event venues (set-up/break-down, hot drinks, snacks, promotional material, scheduling guides or interns)
- Coordinate with event staff on additional needs and responsibilities
Marketing/Communication Responsibilities (30%):
- This portion of the OM role depends on past experience.
- Social media plan, including biweekly facebook and instagram posts, etc.
- Manage email list serve and create and edit content for four quarterly newsletters via MailChimp
- Strategize and implement new ways to locally promote climbing/backcountry ski trips, including fliers at local businesses, radio and print media ads, etc.
- Seasonal (winter and summer) outreach to targeted venues in Big Sky
- Create marketing plan to organize and coordinate annual marketing tasks
- Maintain ongoing client relations by creating and implementing a post-trip follow-up protocol, including a thank you and questionnaire
- Create and establish working relationships with local organizations, businesses, educational programs, resorts, ranches, etc. (promotional discounts, group events, ongoing courses, etc.)
The OM must have their own cell phone and laptop. The MAG office line will be tied to the OM’s personal cell phone during working hours and can be turned off if preferred when not working. The first year we require this position to be on site at our office (located at the Spire Climbing Center). After holding the position for one full year (both winter and summer seasons) the work location can be flexible (remote work will be allowed) with some required time at the MAG office. We may allow remote working after one season.
This position has two “peak” seasons and is a seasonal job with options to continue picking up some casual hours in our off season.
- Winter Season: November 1st -April 1st
- Summer Season: June 1st – September 15th
- Winter and Summer Hours: Tuesday-Saturday; 9-12 (30-60” lunch) 1-4
- OM should be available for 20-30 hours/week of work during peak seasons, hours will vary depending on needs throughout the season.
- During the “off-season” there are opportunities for approximately 10 hrs/week. We prefer a one-year commitment but will consider a seasonal role as well. This role does have the opportunity to grow your position at MAG.
- 6” rule- If it snows more than 6” and you have prioritized completing all your daily tasks in advance (either early morning or the evening prior) we allow an absence.
The following are preferred qualifications to work as the MAG Office Manager but not all are required.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Strong computer skills. Specify experience in your resume. Ideally candidates are familiar with Google; Excel; WordPress and/or HTML
- Ability to self-direct and juggle multiple roles/projects on a daily basis; strong time management skills and ability to exercise discretion in prioritizing tasks and responsibilities
- Scrupulous attention to detail with strong organizational skills
- Social media/Marketing skills: Google Apps, social media platforms (facebook, instagram), mailchimp.
- General knowledge of rock climbing, ice climbing, mountaineering, backcountry skiing and outdoor recreation culture,including knowledge of the Greater Yellowstone ecosystem as it pertains to outdoor recreation
- Flexibility and creativity are a must
Operational & Instructional Experience:
- Past applicable jobs are a plus but not required.
- Degree or background in Business, Communications, Marketing or Graphic Design
- Accounting/financial management skills: familiarity with payroll and related human resources matters; bookkeeping skills including proficiency in Quickbooks
- 2+ years of customer service experience
- Professional and/or personal experience in outdoor recreation
Note About Development in this role:
No past experience is required. The OM position requires 2-4 days of training November 1-4 with Director or Operations.
Office Manager Questions for Application:
- What would make you a good fit for this position?
- Do you have any particular skill sets that would help you excel in this role?
- Why do you want to work with MAG?
- What knowledge do you have about the local terrain where we operate and the disciplines in which we guide and teach? This is not a requirement but helpful so we understand training needs.
- What level of commitment can you make to this position?
Limitations & Disclaimer:
This job description intends to outline the general nature of this position as well as skills, experience, etc of an applicant. This job description is not intended to fully define all aspects of the jobs, responsibilities, and roles of an employee. Employees may be asked to take on additional roles and responsibilities.
Compensation & Start Date:
Wage: $18-$22/hour DOE. We offer pro deals with a number of outdoor retailers; Spire provides MAG employees with discounts on gear and memberships.
- Start date: November 1st. Training will be held November 1st-4th. Office positions will begin that very week with hours increasing toward December.
How to Apply:
Submit an application packet including
- Cover letter detailing why you want to teach/guide work with the MAG team in (Office Manager) and how you meet the qualifications outlined in this job description.
- Resume that outlines all relative experience including 3 references that can speak to how you meet the qualifications defined in the job description.
- Answers to the questions found at the end of this document
Send application packets to email@example.com with your name and “MAG Office Manager” in the email subject line. File formats should be PDF with the following file naming convention OfficeManagerCover_lastname.PDF, OfficeManagerResume_lastname.PDF, OfficeManagerQuestions_lastname.PDF