This course is designed for those with past ice climbing experience who want to focus on mixed climbing. This course will focus on traditional mixed climbing on more vertical and lower angle rock in order to gain daggers and smear of ice. As with all forms of climbing, technique is crucial when transferring in to mixed climbing. The natural progression in ice climbing takes us on to rock in order to get to free-hanging ice or in order to ascend large alpine routes. In this 1-day course we will go over many of the techniques needed to get to those hanging dazzlers and how to do it as safely as possible. We will also go over the techniques needed to ascend traditional mixed routes similar to what you may find in the mountains.
- Review of steep ice climbing techniques and skills
- Tool and crampon placements on the rock (edges, hooks, torques, etc)
- Gear selection and protection types in various types of rock
- Mixed climbing technique on low angle, vertical, and steep mixed climbs
- matching tools, stein pulls, side pulls, etc