This course is designed for individuals with past ice climbing experience who want to focus on mixed climbing. It will focus on traditional mixed climbing on both vertical and lower angle rock. As with all forms of climbing, the technique is crucial when transitioning into mixed climbing. The natural progression in ice climbing takes us onto rock in order to get to free-hanging ice, or to ascend large alpine routes. In this 1-day course, we will go over many of the techniques needed to get to those hanging dazzlers and how to do it as safely as possible. We will also cover the techniques needed to ascend traditional mixed routes similar to what you may find in the mountains.
- Review of steep ice climbing techniques and skills
- Tool and crampon placements on the rock (edges, hooks, torques, etc)
- Gear selection and protection types in various types of rock
- Mixed climbing technique on low angle, vertical, and steep mixed climbs
- Matching tools, stein pulls, side pulls, etc