GANNETT PEAK (13,809′ or 4,209 m) is the highest point in Wyoming, in the Greater Yellowstone Ecosystem and in the Rocky Mountains outside of Colorado! Gannett is situated deep in the heart of the beautiful and rugged Wind River Range, over 20 miles from most trailheads.
Amongst mountaineers, this peak is known to be the most difficult summit of the 50 states’ high points, after Denali (Mt McKinley) and Montana’s highest point, Granite Peak.
Montana Alpine Guides (MAG) offers guided climbing trips on Gannett Peak from the Cold Springs trailhead via the Wind River Reservation. This route provides the shortest (though still guarded by numerous miles) and arguably the most beautiful approach to climb Gannett Peak. Our two-day approach allows participants to take in this rugged landscape, while unlike Elkhart/Titcomb Basic, our summit day climb does not require climbing and descending over a pass.
Regardless of your starting point, Gannett Peak is a massive mountain that demands much respect.
* There is a $470/person cost to the Wind River Reservation.
*Accessing Gannett Peak from another trailhead requires an additional day with additional guide fees: (~$500-$800/day).
What our clients say about us
“Everything about our Gannett Peak climb with MAG was first class, from the initial trip planning to our return to Crowheart. Our guide (Ty) put us at ease with his knowledge and safety consciousness, no small issue given the remoteness and ruggedness of the terrain, which included unusually heavy snow cover during our early July ascent. The food was fresh, varied, and well prepared – not at all like the freeze dried backpacking food we were expecting. Finally, the Cold Springs trail that MAG uses is both stunningly beautiful and uncrowded. We saw perhaps a dozen other climbers during our five day trip. All in all, it was a truly rewarding experience.”
“Aki did a great job of guiding my brother and me to the summit of Gannett Peak. He was patient and showed mastery of the skills needed to make the trek and climb safe. I was also impresses with Aki’s skills as a woodsman since trails and campsites would not have been evident to me if I were trekking alone.”
- $3,500/person (1 participant : 1 guide)*
- $3,200/person (groups of 2 or more participants : 1 guide)*
- $4,200/person (1 participant : 1 guide)*
- $3,840/person (groups of 2 or more participants : 1 guide)*
- $1,100 additional cost for closed enrollment trip (no others can join your group)
- Contact our office for accelerated trip itineraries.
Porters are highly recommended!
- $300/day (plus additional reservation fees, see below)
*Price does not Include:
- 4% public land use fee
- Transportation costs across the Wind River Indian Reservation ($470/per person + your portion of this cost for guides/porters)
Contact our office for additional add-on climbing days or other peak climbs such as Kilimanjaro