Learning to identify and place solid traditional protection is crucial to safe climbing on traditional rock routes; it is the foundation for all that follows. This course is designed to instill confidence for participants to begin leading single pitch crack routes. Skills covered in this all-inclusive course include:
- Risk assessments and crags hazards
- Lead climbing safety, route selection and assessment
- Gear placements and removal, protection evaluation
- Multi-point/multi-directional anchor construction
- Managing a belay station, rope handling
- Fall factors and forces created
- Technique, lead-climbing strategy, lead belays and belaying from above.
- Equipment selection and use
- Climbing strategies and communication
Upon completion of our 2-day Traditional Climbing Course participants should have the necessary skills and confidence to lead climb traditional routes on their own.