Want to take your top-rope or lead climbing from the controlled gym setting to the uncontrolled outdoor setting? Do you lack adequate mentors to teach you? Learning to sport climb from a professional guide is a great next step to open the doors to leading outdoor rock climbs. This course covers safety, climbing techniques, lead belaying and climbing, falling, gear choices and selections, anchor threading/lowering, and back up belays. This is a great way to get comfortable leading prior to venturing into our traditional lead climbing.
OVERVIEW: Take your indoor climbing outside
- Risk management at the cliff/crag
- Lead belaying techniques, catching falls, belay positioning on uneven terrain.
- Stick clipping options/pre-clipping, back clipping, “Z” Clipping
- Equipment choices and use descriptions
- Falling techniques and mitigating fear
- Anchor transfer: threading and lowering.
- Back up belaying
TIME: 8:00 – 4:00
RATIO: Max 6:1
- Professional climbing guide
- Personal Climbing Gear (rock climbing shoes, harness, helmet)
- Group Gear: Ropes, carabiners, climbing protection, slings, cordelettes, etc.
- Food, transport, lodging
- Technical clothing, backpack, etc.
- Rescue insurance
- Trip insurance
- Guide gratuity
- Unforeseen expenses from circumstances outside of Montana Alpine Guides’ control
Montana Alpine Guides, 11 Enterprise Blvd, Bozeman, MT 59718