This is the second course to in our Gym to Crag Series. This course focuses on introduction to traditional climbing and multi-pitch climbing in an outdoor setting. Find Gym to Crag Level 1 here.
OVERVIEW: This course is for those who have experienced leading sport climbs and want to tap into traditional climbing and multi-pitch climbing. Participants will be exposed to the skills and techniques needed to safely and efficiently begin to climb on the multitude of inspiring multi-pitch routes found locally and throughout the world.
- Risk assessments and crags hazards
- Gear placements and removal, protection evaluation (cams, nuts, other)
- Multi-point/multi-directional anchor construction
- Fall factors and forces created
- Technique and lead-climbing strategy
- Mock leading scenarios
- Equipment selection and use
- Constructive teaching and review of all gear placement by professional guides.
- Safety and risk recognition involved with multi-pitch climbing
- Climbing communication (including when you can’t see or hear your partner)
- Belaying from above (reverso and Grigri)
- Multi-pitch anchor management and transitions
- Safely lowering a climber with an engaged auto-lock device from above
- Equipment selection for intended routes
- Route finding, retreat/escape plans and options
- Ropes: one vs. two, one rope with one tag line.
- Multi-pitch rappels
PREREQUISITES: Climbers enrolled in our Gym to Crag Series: Level 2 should have a background in lead climbing sport routes, basic belaying skills, and knots. Complete the skill set from our Gym to Crag Series: Level 1
TIME: 2-days 8:00-4:00
RATIO: Max 4:1
- Professional climbing guide
- Personal Climbing Gear (rock climbing shoes, harness, helmet)
- Group Gear: Ropes, carabiners, climbing protection, slings, cordelettes, quickdraws etc.
- Food, transport, lodging
- Technical clothing, backpack, etc.
- Rescue insurance
- Trip insurance
- Guide gratuity
- Unforeseen expenses from circumstances outside of Montana Alpine Guides’ control
Montana Alpine Guides, 11 Enterprise Blvd, Bozeman, MT 59718