Learning to identify and place solid traditional protection is crucial to safe climbing on traditional rock routes; it is the foundation for all that follows. This course is designed to instill confidence for participants to begin leading single pitch crack routes. Skills covered in this all-inclusive course include:
- Risk assessments and crags hazards
- Lead climbing safety, route selection and assessment
- Gear placements and removal, protection evaluation
- Multi-point/multi-directional anchor construction
- Managing a belay station, rope handling
- Fall factors and forces created
- Technique, lead-climbing strategy, lead belays and belaying from above.
- Equipment selection and use
- Climbing strategies and communication
PREREQUISITES: Climbers enrolling in our Traditional Rock Courses should have a background in lead climbing sport climbs. Contact us about options if you feel you need to gain these skills.
Upon completion of our 2-day Traditional Climbing Course participants should have the necessary skills and confidence to lead climb traditional routes on their own.
What our clients say about us
“We had a great time climbing Gallatin Tower in the Gallatin River Valley. Our group ranged in age from 8 to 43. Our guides, Genevieve and Kyle, were able to find routes to accommodate all of us. They really did a fantastic job.”
“Had the best time climbing with Montana Alpine Guides. Sam is a fantastic guide that I would recommend to anyone visiting Montana and the surrounding areas.”